piątek, 31 sierpnia 2012

15mm Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Last week I've received a package from Highlander Studios - some of their steampunk adventurers (lovely minis, I'm planning to use them with the Wolsung SSG rules) and two of the "Kendo Masters" packs. Today I have managed to paint the first one of those minis - Obi-Wan Kenobi:

sobota, 25 sierpnia 2012

Modular Urban Board: Small Platforms

(click the pictures to see a bigger version)
Here are some additional pieces for my modular urban board. These small platforms are intended as a kind of 'urban hills' - they add a vertical dimension to the table and block line of sight... unless you manage to hold one of these and shoot at your opponent from behind the low walls!
Each piece measures 10x20cm (half of a tile) and is 3cm high.
The pieces can be arranged into larger 'L'- or 'T'-shaped platform...
...or added to one of the larger platforms.

czwartek, 23 sierpnia 2012

15mm Blitzer Kapitan and some WIPs

I've recently picked up an Oddzial Osmy pack of New Vistula Legion Characters. Lovely minis, perhaps a bit cartoonish but the detail is crisp and they all have a lots of character. These miniatures have only one flaw, though: they are cast in a really hard metal, so it's a bit difficult to shave off the mould lines.
One of the characters from the aforementioned pack will be used as a leader in my 15mm WarzZone Bauhaus army - a captain of Blitzers:

On the side note, here are some WIP shots of two minis currently on my workbench - Rick Deckard (the miniature is an investigator from The Department line):
...and a Beholder from an OOP ADnD Battlesystem line:
Airbrush was used to achieve the 'zenithal lightning' effect - the gradual change from brown-red at the bottom to very bright orange-red at the top is actually a part of the paintjob and not an effect of exterior lightning.

czwartek, 16 sierpnia 2012

Tutorial: 15mm Urban Planters

I've started making some small cover pieces for my modular urban board, starting with some planters.
These are really simple to make:
1. Cut the basic shape of the planter from 5mm foamboard. I've used 20x50mm rectangles.
2. Cut four strips of 1mm plasticard - two pieces measuring 10x20mm and two measuring 10x50mm.
3. Glue the strips of plasticard to the sides of the foamboard. I've used PVA glue with a dab of superglue (to make it bond faster).
4. Using an old brush, spread some PVA glue inside the planter and add sand.
5. Paint the outside of the planter. I used an airbrush with VMC colors matching the ones I used for the board itself: basecoat of Dark Bluegrey was followed with Light Sea Grey, Ivory and White. Light coat of German Camo Beige was then applied at the bottom of the planter to imitate dust.
6. Paint the sand with some light brown and wash it with watered down Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade.
7. Add some static grass inside the planters.
8. Glue the clumped foliage inside the planters.
9. Cover the whole piece with a coat of matt varnish.

Here  are some shots of the planters on the finished board (click the pictures to see bigger versions):

poniedziałek, 13 sierpnia 2012

Progress on modular urban board

I've finished first nine tiles of my modular urban board - it's enough to make a 60x60 board for playing Flying Lead, but there's not much space for variation here. I'm quite happy with the colour scheme, though - and the example of the excellent Redemption City board by BaldLea shows that I'm not the only one who finds the white-and-green scheme eye-pleasing.

Overhead view
Overhead view from another angle
Metal pieces from The Scene were used for detailing the raised platform (I aim to make four such raised tiles).
Stairs were made using the method I've outlined here: http://multiverse15.blogspot.com/2011/01/sci-fi-corridor-tutorial-1-stairways.html
Duel between two gangers. Notice the manhole next to the sidewalk and the concrete texture on the wall.
Another overhead view of the board.

niedziela, 12 sierpnia 2012

Bretonnian archers with new movement trays

I've painted these archers some time ago but haven't yet posted any pictures of them on the blog. As I recently made new movement trays for them, I thought it a good opportunity to make some photos. Click on the picture to see a bigger version.