modular urban board, starting with some planters.
These are really simple to make:
1. Cut the basic shape of the planter from 5mm foamboard. I've used 20x50mm rectangles.
2. Cut four strips of 1mm plasticard - two pieces measuring 10x20mm and two measuring 10x50mm.
3. Glue the strips of plasticard to the sides of the foamboard. I've used PVA glue with a dab of superglue (to make it bond faster).
4. Using an old brush, spread some PVA glue inside the planter and add sand.
5. Paint the outside of the planter. I used an airbrush with VMC colors matching the ones I used for the board itself: basecoat of Dark Bluegrey was followed with Light Sea Grey, Ivory and White. Light coat of German Camo Beige was then applied at the bottom of the planter to imitate dust.
6. Paint the sand with some light brown and wash it with watered down Devlan Mud/Agrax Earthshade.
7. Add some static grass inside the planters.
8. Glue the clumped foliage inside the planters.
9. Cover the whole piece with a coat of matt varnish.
Here are some shots of the planters on the finished board (click the pictures to see bigger versions):